Expose News

News on Politics, Sports, Business, & Health

IHC building attack case: Decision to extend remand reserved

IHC building attack case: Decision to extend remand reserved

#IHC #building #attack #case #Decision #extend #remand #reserved

ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) has reserved its judgment on the appeal of the prosecution seeking further physical remand of lawyers in the IHC building attack case.

A division bench comprising Justice Amir Farooq and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani heard the case challenging the decision of the Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) to reject the request for further physical remand.

State Councilor Daniel Hassan argued that a witness had told him that two lawyers – Tassaduq Hanif and Hamad Dar – had tried to snatch a gun from an official and had asked the court to remand him in custody for further investigation.

The court observed that the prosecution had already obtained a one-month remand of the accused and said that it was still filing the petition, while the ATC had on March 22 rejected the petition.

The state counsel said the appeal was filed after the commissioner’s approval. Latif Khosa took the position that no lawyer was armed during the incident. The court then reserved judgment on the matter.

The court also directed the police to record the statements of the presidents of the Bar Association in the bail application of the lawyers of the three accused. The division bench heard bail after the arrest of three lawyers, including Secretary Islamabad High Court Bar Association Tassaduq Hanif, member Islamabad Bar Council (IBC) Naseer Kayani and Hamad Dar Advocate.

The court also directed to record the statements of the presidents of IHCBA, IBC and District Bar Association (DBA) in bail cases besides saving the verdict. The court found that bar officials were present at the scene and were trying to stop the protesters.

The court directed the police to record their statements. Presenting the report of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), SSP Operations Islamabad Ata-ur-Rehman said that the names of several other lawyers had also come to light during the investigation process.

Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani asked the police officer to clear the lawyers who had nothing to do with the incident. The court then adjourned the hearing of the case with the said directions.